- Certified Family Law Specialist, State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Rated "AV Preeminent" by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Named one of Northern California's "Rising Stars" eight years in a row by Super Lawyer's Magazine
- Past President of Sonoma County Bar Association
- Past Member of the Family Law Advisory Commission of the State Bar of California
Carla Boyd Terre, family law attorney and mediator, is a Certified Family Law Specialist by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization and is rated an "AV Preeminent" attorney by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Ratings. Carla was the President of the Sonoma County Bar Association (SCBA) in 2015 and served as the Chairperson of the Family Law Section Steering Committee in 2009. She was one of the founding members of the Mental Health Liaison Committee, a subcommittee of the Family Law Section of SCBA. She served as a Commissioner on the Family Law Advisory Committee of the California State Bar from 2013 through 2016.
Carla is currently a member of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of California, SCBA, the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Women in Law, and the Family Law Section of SCBA. Carla has been named one of Northern California's "Rising Stars" eight years in a row by Super Lawyers.
Carla is a 2003 graduate of the University of San Francisco School of Law, graduating in the top 25% of her class. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in English, with honors, from Mills College in Oakland, California. During her third year in law school, Carla served as an Extern for Justice Maria Rivera of the California Court of Appeal and then as a Law Clerk for the Sonoma County Department of Child Support Services.
Carla's Approach to Family Law Practice:
Carla Boyd Terre's practice is dedicated strictly to family law matters. She handles all aspects of family law proceedings, including custody and visitation, property division, registered domestic partnerships, same sex and LGBT family law matters, adoption, domestic violence, child support, spousal support, appeals, pre-nuptial/pre-marital and post-marital agreements, collaborative law, and mediation. Carla attends mediation with clients and also serves as a mediator for parties with and without lawyers present.
Carla has appeared at numerous contested family law proceedings including appearances before the California Court of Appeal in San Francisco. She has appeared in Sonoma County Superior Court, Marin County Superior Court, Napa County Superior Court, Lake County Superior Court, and Mendocino County Superior Court. Carla is experienced in mediation and negotiation, and has helped many clients reach settlements or limit the issues that proceed to litigation. When settlement is not an option, Carla is ready to handle court proceedings and vigorously represent clients in contested matters.
Carla believes that an effective family law attorney stays in close communication with her client, working together to reach appropriate resolutions to the unique situations in each case. Carla is compassionate and understands that clients are often going through one of the most difficult times in their lives.
Carla also believes it is important to stay informed about developments in family law and attends regular trainings and seminars in addition to receiving weekly publications which provide important updates on recent family law cases and legislative changes.
Recently she has been serving more frequently as a Mediator in family law matters.
When Carla is not practicing law, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two children, reading, yoga (including Bhakti Yoga), pilates, and hiking.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Serving as Mediator or attending mediation with clients
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Child Support and Spousal Support (Alimony)
- Collaborative Law and Mediation
- Custody & Visitation
- Litigation & Appeals
- Pre Marital Agreements (Prenuptial Agreements) and Post Marital Agreements, Pre and Post Domestic Partner Agreements
- Property Division
- Registered Domestic Partnerships
- Same Sex / LGBTQ Family Law
- Step-Parent Adoptions
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Family Law Specialist, The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, 2010
- California, 2003
- University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- JD - 05/2003
- Mills College, Oakland, California
- B.A. - 05/2000
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: English
- Temporal Severance and Exclusion of Time in Determining the Economic Value of Regulated Property, 36 U.S.F.L.R. 793, Spring, 2002
Honors and Awards
- Northern California Rising Stars, 2010
- CALI Award for Excellence, Community Property, 2002
- CALI Award for Excellence, Family Law, 2003
- CALI Award for Excellence, Children's Rights, 2001
- Rated “AV Preeminent”, Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Named one of Northern California’s “Rising Stars” seven years in a row by Super Lawyer’s Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Family Law Best Practices Committee, Member, 2009 to 2015
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Member, 2009 to Present
- Collaborative Council of the Redwood Empire (CCRE), Officer, Board of Directors, 2008 to 2010
- Collaborative Council of the Redwood Empire (CCRE), Participating Member, 2007 to 2011
- International Association of Collaborative Professionals (IACP), Member, 2007 to 2011
- Family Law Committee, President, 2009
- Family Law Committee, Vice President, 2008
- Family Law Committee, Secretary, 2007
- Family Law Bench/Bar Committee, Member, Family Law Court and Bar Committee, 2005 to 2009
- Sonoma County Bar Association, Family Law Representative on the Board of Directors, 2008
- Sonoma County Women in Law, Member, 2009 to Present
- Sonoma County Bar Association, President, 2015
- Family Law Advisory Commission of the State Bar of California, Member, Commissioner, 2013 to 2016
- Family Law Advisory Commission, Commissioner, 2014 to 2016
- Sonoma County Bar Association, Board of Directors, President, 2015
- Sonoma County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Vice-President, 2014
- Sonoma County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Treasurer, 2013
- Sonoma County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Secretary, 2012
- Sonoma County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Director at Large, 2010 to 2011
- Sonoma County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Director, 2010 to 2016
Past Employment Positions
- Law Offices of Bruce H. Schwartz, October, 2004 - March, 2007, Associate
- Department of Child Support Services, Law Clerk, 2003
- Justice Maria Rivera, California Court of Appeal, District One, Division Four, Law Clerk, 2002
- Daniel U. Smith, Appellate Specialist, Law Clerk, 2002
- Professor Edith Ho, USF School of Law, Research Assistant, 2001 to 2002